Sunday 14 November 2021

Remembrance

 A rare Sunday in Northamptonshire today began with a misty and somewhat murky morning that eventually gave way to a dull and grey afternoon. My day began with the short bus journey to Upper Benefield from where I walked home via Deenethorpe, Deene and Weldon. I can't pretend that this was one of my finest days out in the field but I'm always grateful just to get out.

Fieldfare and Pheasant.



Some potentially sad news on the outskirts of Benefield where several of the old trees that are used by breeding Tree Sparrows have come down. Hopefully enough remain to house the colony next year as this is one of the larger populations that I know of locally. Continuing on with my stroll along the lane towards Deenethorpe did not provide much of interest and I left the road to take a bridleway next to Burnt Coppice. A Brambling was heard calling near to a cluster of farm buildings and was my only one of the day. Strolling along the public footpaths towards Deene saw me adding birds such as Fieldfares and Redwings to my list. Several flocks of Lapwing were noted and for the second day running I heard a Raven.

Buzzard and Lapwings



Deene Lake seemed to be very quiet with only a few ducks on view and reduced numbers of geese. Highlight was perhaps a pair of Egyptian Geese while the single Shelduck seen on my last visit remains. At the inflow a single Green Sandpiper was feeding, water levels look a little low and there is plenty of exposed mud so more may join it. Nearby at Deenethorpe village a small flock of Siskins passed over but they were the last wildlife thing of note that I saw.

Egyptian Geese and Green Sandpiper



Deenethorpe airfield held very little wildlife but there were still a few sights of interest. A collection of historic military vehicles had gathered as part of the Remembrance Sunday  commemorations and the place was as busy as I can recall. Of course bases such as Deenethorpe were very much in the front line in the struggle to free Europe during the Second World War and many men took off from here that did not return. It's only fitting to remember the sacrifices of all those that fell and gave their lives so that we might enjoy ours. I'm going to raise a glass or two in appreciation of those who give me the freedom to enjoy my hobbies and interests - Cheers.

Remembering the fallen



No comments:

Post a Comment