Monday 7 September 2020

Staying Local

 Today I opted to stay relatively close to home and began my day's spotting at Willowbrook Industrial Estate. Although much of this area has been lost to development there's still a bit of green space left though of course for how long this stays true is another matter entirely!


Willowbrook Industrial estate and Y.L Gull.


I was hoping to find some passage migrants but things were fairly quiet on that front with just a few Meadow Pipits and a Grey Wagtail moving through. A Raven was also noted, I seem to be seeing them a lot at the moment as these species continues to reestablish itself locally.. On an a newly cleared spot there was a group of resting gulls and a quick check through them revealed two adult Yellow-legged Gulls in amongst the Lesser Black Backs, I do wonder what brings this species to the Corby area. Today's weather was far from ideal for insects being mostly cloudy with the odd light shower so insects did not feature strongly and I only saw a single Common Darter here.


Dabchicks.


My next port of call was the A43 pond at Weldon which held rather a lot of Mallards in addition to a pair of Mute Swans and a couple of Canada Geese. I enjoyed watching a pair of adult Dabchicks looking as if they were trying to chase their young away though the juveniles for their part appeared to be a little slow on the uptake and seemed to be staying put. Elsewhere in Weldon I found a single Banded Demoiselle along the stream and heard a Kingfisher on several occasions at the nearby pond. Siskins appear to be on the move at the moment and I had several small parties fly over during the morning.

Banded Demoiselle.


No comments:

Post a Comment