Tuesday 22 September 2020

Snappychats

 Whilst I was out and about in the Oundle area yesterday local nature spotter Alan Shorrock found a couple of Stonechats and a Whinchat at Willowbrook Industrial Estate, Corby during his lunch break. Although avowed trencherman Alan's lunchtime repast was probably cut short by this cracking discovery I'm sure that a few hurried mouthfuls of pork pie or scotch egg tasted all the better after seeing this handsome trio of chats. Hopeful that I might be able to see them myself this morning I headed out this morning though I took the precaution of having breakfast beforehand, I didn't want my meal interrupted!


Here be chats, and some chats.


Luckily for me all three were still there and I had some great views even if they were a little distant at times. As this is the spot favoured by the last winter's pair of Stonechats it's claerly going to be worth checking in the future.. The Whinchat was my sixth species of chat in the Corby area this year which I think may be the most that I've managed to see in any one year. Other birds today included several Redpolls passing over and a Kingfisher at the Woodland Park in Weldon.


Whinchat (top) and Stonechat.


Not many butterflies were seen today and most of them were Small Whites. The only other species breaking this monopoly was a Small Heath seen at the industrial estate. Weldon provided a good selection of dragons and damsels and I managed to see eight species, not bad for this late in the season. Singles of Banded Demoiselle and Small Red-eyed Damselflies were good late records, the three Willow Emeralds were more typical of the date. Plenty of Migrant Hawkers were also present and there were two Southern and one Brown Hawker seen too. Rounding off the list were Common and Ruddy Darters. With the Indian Summer predicted to end tomorrow it's likely to be some time before I see eight species in a day again!


Brown and Southern Hawkers.


Not a great deal of other wildlife was observed today though a Common Lizard at Weldon was a very welcome surprise, I haven't seen one here before.


Banded Demoiselle and Willow Emeralds.




No comments:

Post a Comment