Wednesday 2 October 2019

Stagecoach You Suck, Wildlife You Don't



Anyone that reads this blog may be aware that I frequently use the Stagecoach X4 service and they've probably deduced that I'm not always a happy customer. Experience has taught me to regard the timetable as little more than a vague promise, a tragi-comic exercise in wishful thinking but today they may have sunk to a new and unexpected low. I'd completed my wildlife spotting and was waiting for the bus which unusually for the X4 appeared to be more or less on time. Stepping towards the kerb I was more than a little annoyed when the bus sped past without stopping! Knowing that the next one was more than an hour later did not improve my mood but it did I suppose give me a bit more time to try and find some more nature. As a final insult the later bus arrived over ten minutes late, I wish there was an alternative to this service but sadly there isn't.

Banded Demoiselles.

Ok now that's off my chest I'll get to the wildlifey bit. My main target today were Banded Demoiselles along the stream at Weldon and some fine Autumn sunshine seemed to improve my chances of striking lucky on my after work visit. While I fully expected to have to walk up and down the bank wading through nettles and trying to avoid a wasps nest that provided an additional hazard I was delighted to be proved wrong. First a male and then a female showed in pretty quick order making it a seventh month that they've been active here, Weldon really is a top notch spot for Banded Demoiselles. My stroke of luck freed up more time to spend around the neighbouring pond.

Ruddy and Common Darter.

If the Bandeds did me proud then the Willows did not, I'm not convinced that late afternoon is a good time to spot this species and today's dip did nothing to change my mind. Dragons on the other hand did the business with a number of Common Darters being joined by a male Ruddy Darter. I don't tend to see Ruddies in October so I was happy to see this one. A trio of hawkers were noted with a single Brown joining Southerns and Migrants on the list.

Southern Hawker and Painted Lady.

With some unexpected extra time now available courtesy of a certain bus company I made my way up to the A43 pond. The Ivy flowers along Larrat Road held good numbers of Red Admirals and about half a dozen Commas but the best butterfly was a fine Painted Lady which was my first for a while. No birds of note today, just a couple of Grey Wagtails and a singing Chiffchaff but those Bandeds certainly made the day worthwhile.

Red Admiral and Comma.





No comments:

Post a Comment