Monday 30 September 2019

Ray of Sunshine

Some welcome sunshine today even if it was mostly for the morning and early afternoon. Given that I hadn't been to Barnwell or Oundle for a few weeks I decided to put that right with a visit. Although it was a little on the chilly side first thing it soon got warmer as the morning went on.

Migrant Hawker and Common Darter.

I began with a short vigil from the Kingfisher Hide where a couple of Nuthatches put on a good show. Afterwards I walked around the various ponds and lakes notching up a good number of Migrant Hawkers and Common Darters. While looking for Willow Emeralds around Mill Lake I found a late female Small Red-eyed Damselfly, it's been two or three weeks since my last sighting and I really wasn't expecting to find one so late in the season. My search for emeralds drew a blank in the park though I did get lucky a little later on.

Small Red-eyed Damsel and Nuthatch.

Walking from the park towards the marina I found good numbers of Red Admirals and a few Commas nectaring on Ivy flowers. These really are a great source of food for the later butterflies and many bees and hoverflies too. Small White was the only other species seen today, about half a dozen were noted.

Red Admiral and Comma.

According to our county recorder's blog there have been sightings of Willow Emeralds at Princess Lake. I've been looking for them here for several years with no result so it was good to know that they had finally arrived. I spent a good time walking slowly around the lake peering intently at any suitable looking spots. At first it looked as if a dip might be on the cards and I decided to walk along the edge of the neighbouring farmer's field to see if I could see any basking or hunting individuals. No emeralds here either but I did see the best insect of the day with a sighting of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth which was my first in Britain for several years. The encounter was brief so there was no chance to get a pic but it was great to catch up with one of these scarce migrants. A few minutes after this I stopped at a likely looking area and waited for a few minutes regularly giving the sallows a sweep with my binoculars. Patience and effort were rewarded with sightings of at least two Willow Emeralds, this is the sixth site that I've seen them at in Northamptonshire this year.

Princess Lake and Willow Emerald.

While waiting for the emeralds to show I was treated to several flypasts by a Kingfisher and though it didn't stop I got good views. Also of note were my first Siskins of the Autumn as several birds passed overhead, shouldn't be too long before the first Redwings arrive.

Barnwell CP.

No comments:

Post a Comment