Monday 28 October 2019

'ot Spot

For the second day running I got to see the sun and it turned out to be a lovely morning. Not for the first time I popped over to Barnwell CP where the possibility of seeing otters was the draw. The river and the park were fogbound when I first arrived but it soon lifted and visibility improved.

Early fog soon lifted.

Kingfisher Hide was empty when I arrived though I was a bit annoyed as my arrival flushed two Kingfishers from branches very close to the hide. While the 'fishers did hang around for the duration of my stay neither provided any chances for pics. The second stars on the bill were a little more obliging though only just! Panicking Mallards drew my attention to some ripples which in turn lead to a sighting of a fishing Otter. Brief and distant views followed before it disappeared though some minutes later I had similar views of two. By now the hide was beginning to fill with photographers so having enjoyed the sightings if not the photographic opportunities I left to make room for them.

Duff pics, nice animals.

There were not many other things to report from Barnwell though the sunshine had brought out some Common Darters, nice to see given that there had clearly been a frost overnight. Others were seen along the Nene though they were the only insects of note. An Egyptian Goose at the marina was my first in the area for a while, I don't know what happened to the pair that were regular here early in the year and hope that they didn't come to any harm.

Egyptian Goose and Common Darter

All the heavy rain that we've had has meant increased water levels in the fields next to the river and it meant that I couldn't get to see all of the area between the lock and the A605. I did see enough of the area to note that Teal numbers had risen to about thirty though the Lapwings from last week had moved on. With the sky now having taken on a familiar grey sort of look I headed off back to Corby happy with my Otter sightings, I hope they turn out to be the first of many more this winter.

Cormorant eventually managing to swallow a Perch.

No comments:

Post a Comment