Friday 21 June 2019

Weldon Walkabout

Mercifully it wasn't the longest day at work as I blagged a half day's holiday and took advantage of some relatively decent weather to head off down to Weldon. Though I hoped to find some Small Red-eyed Damselflies I dipped on those but found a few other interesting insects including three year firsts.

Ringlet and Large Skipper.

There were not many damsels along the stream today though my walk alongside it did coincide with the cloudiest part of the day. Around the pond I found a couple of new butterflies for the year with a Large Skipper closely followed by what looked like a newly emerged Ringlet. A couple of Meadow Browns and a Comma were also seen with the latter looking very fresh. Finally a few dragonflies are beginning to appear over the pond with four or five Four-spotted Chasers and two Black-tailed Skimmers observed. While the skimmers were new for the year I wasn't able to get a photograph. Highlight amongst the damselflies was a mature male White-legged Damselfly which was my first at the pond although there are sometimes a very small number present along the stream.

White-legged and Red-eyed Damselflies.

From here I moved along to the nearby Weldon Woodland Park where the numbers of Meadow Browns are on the rise. Several Small Heaths were noted and a couple more Large Skippers though I didn't manage to find any Marbled Whites. If weather and time permits I may have a look for them at Willowbrook industrial estate after work tomorrow.

Meadow Brown and Small Heath.

Whilst walking along to my final stop of the day at the stream near the church I found several patches of Red Valerian. This attractive flower is often good for butterflies and today they had attracted two Painted Ladies which were my first Northants ones this year. Also feeding on these flowers were half a dozen Small Tortoiseshells still looking very fresh.

Painted Lady and Small Tortoiseshell.

My walk along the stream did not produce a great deal though it was good to find three more White-legged Damselflies. Several Banded Demoiselles were noted too with most looking as if they had just emerged. With a few bits and bobs to do elsewhere I had to leave Weldon behind and catch the bus back to the village.

Comma and Banded Demoiselle.

No comments:

Post a Comment