Friday 3 May 2019

Spanish Travels - Last Call.

Phew, almost there. While I spent most of my time engrossed with the many good birds (a total of 93 species) I did try and look at other wildlife too though in truth there was not a whole lot to look at.

Spanish Festoon and Wall Brown.

For a second year in a row numbers of butterflies in terms of both species and individuals seemed low. Clouded Yellows were the commonest but even they remained scarce. Happily I did at least see a couple of Spanish Festoons, this attractive and showy species is one of my favourites. Another highlight were a few Wall Browns which are always a treat since this species disappeared from Northants.

Clouded Yellow and Red-veined Darter.

Dragonflies if anything fared even worse with a measly total of four identified and two as yet unidentified species being seen. Brief views of a Copper Demoiselle were welcome but the chance to see several Red-veined Darters did go down well. Iberian Blue-tailed Damselfly was a decent enough find but sadly it was a little too fast for my reactions and I didn't get a photo.

Terrapin and Dunlin

Elsewhere I saw Pond Terrapins and a few lizards but this lack of other wildlife does at least give me the chance to show a few more bird pictures!

Bird Selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment