Sunday 19 May 2019

Priors Hall Posse

Sunday is my favourite day for visiting Priors Hall and with the weather this morning looking decent I popped over there again this morning. Although I'd set off on my own by the time I'd finished there was quite a group gathered around the ponds.

Grizzled and Dingy Skippers.

Butterflies provided lots of interest in the earlier part of the day, while Dingy Skippers remain common around the ponds there was also an increased number of Grizzleds too with a double figure count on view. Small Heaths have increased since my last visit and I saw at least twenty five during my visit. A Small Copper was my first in the county this year and there was also a Brown Argus. Both Green-veined White and Speckled Wood were also seen during the day.

Pair of smalls, Copper and Heath.

It did not take long to realise that a good number of Four-spotted Chasers had probably emerged this morning with over twenty observed. Although many were making hesitant and often faltering first flights at least one was hawking insects and was perhaps a more mature individual. A Hairy Dragonfly was a nice find though it made only a typically fleeting visit before disappearing. Damsels were represented by four species with Large Reds and Azures being the commonest. A couple of Red-eyeds (genuine ones this time!) and a few Blue-tailed made up the list.

Green Hairstreak and Four-spotted Chaser.

During my walk I'd had a phone call from Alan Shorrock letting me know about a Grasshopper Warbler near the birches on the northern end of the site while I was listening to one of my own near the ponds. Having arranged to meet up with Al I then had a call from Phil Rogers and Paul Powall who were also in the area and we ended up with quite a gathering. Green hairstreak and my first Common Blue of the year were added to the tally while bird interest was provided by overflying Sand Martins.

Whole lotta love, Blue-tailed and Large Red Damselflies.

We headed over to Weldon to check the stream for Variable Damselflies but by now the clouds had closed in and apart from a single newly emerged male Banded Demoiselle there was nothing else to see. By this time Paul had already made his excuses and left but the remaining three of us headed over to the Shoulder of Mutton for a much appreciated pint.

Banded Demoiselle.

No comments:

Post a Comment