Monday 25 February 2019

Winter's Still Keeping Its Distance.

Now I've never been to either the Canary Islands or the Azores but I'd like to thank them for sharing some of their weather with us. Not that it made much of a difference first thing this morning as frost had turned the grass at Barnwell CP white but it soon improved and our mini Spring continued.

Oundle Mill and a Cormorant.

My attempts to see either Otters or Kingfishers once again resulted in failure but there was just enough there to justify a visit. A Great Crested Grebe has returned to the large lake nearest Oundle and is the first for some time. Disharmony still reigns in the world of the swan family but those pesky kids are still hanging around. Three Mandarins had returned to their usual spot and for once I got a relatively unobscured view of one. The feeders in front of Lowlands Hide were attracting a couple of Nuthatches and their messy, seed spreading method of feeding in turn had pulled in a few Reed Buntings. Once I'd satisfied myself that I'd seen all that I was likely to see I headed off down the river towards the floods.

Blue Tit and drake Mandarin.

Near the marina a Cetti's Warbler was singing and was my first in this area since the Beasts from the East last year. The flooded area contained the same species as on my last visit but in lesser numbers, no sign of any different waders yet. Heading back into town I had a wander around the churchyard where I was delighted to find an adult Peregrine perched on the spire. I watched it for some time and enjoyed some flight views when it took a brief trip around the immediate area before it returned to its perch. Very happy with some nice views of this formidable falcon I left it alone and caught my bus.

Oundle Peregrine.

Plenty more signs of Spring today with lots of Blackthorn coming into flower and also a sighting of my first ladybird of the year. Back in Corby Old Village I found a Small Tortoiseshell which sadly was disturbed by a passing car before I could get a piccy. Also on view were several large bumblebees which were presumably queens looking for potential nest sites.

Ladybird, Blackthorn blossom and Nuthatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment