Sunday 24 February 2019

County Wanderings

Alan Shorrock and I made the trip over to Irchester CP this morning in the hope of seeing the reported Crossbills. Unfortunately for us there appeared to be some sort of running event on and so the park was very busy, We spent a bit of time searching despite the crowds but eventually had to concede that today was probably not going to be our day.

Irchester Views.

Having left Irchester behind for the athletes we headed off to Summer Leys which while fairly busy was at least a bit on the quieter side than the park had been. At least three Great White Egrets were noted and there seemed to be rather a lot of Littles about too. Duck numbers remain high though there was nothing too exciting, the best were three Red Crested Pochards on the neighbouring Pete Wild's Lake. The feeders held the usual selection of common passerines providing good views. One of my highlights here was not a bird but a butterfly, my first Brimstone of the year. We stalked him for some time until he eventually settled but were then delighted to find a second in the same patch of brambles. From then on we managed to build up a total of at least six males flying up and down the lane. I also found my first Coltsfoot flowers in bloom, Spring really is putting in an early appearance.

Summer Leys Egrets.

Alan had a lunch date and so dropped me near to Priors Hall though not before I'd seen another male Brimstone at Weldon Industrial Estate. More butterflies were seen at Priors with three Small Tortoiseshells, a Peacock and a Comma as well as two unidentified butt's being found. I cannot recall another February when I've seen so many butterflies but the glorious weather that we've enjoyed recently must be the cause, Northants has recorded six species so far! Apart from several Redpolls and a few Siskins most of the birds were on the ponds. The large reed fringed pond had a decent collection of water birds with several Water Rails being the highlight. There was not a great deal on the quarry lake with a few Tufted Ducks being the best.

Rubbish shot of 2 RCP's (and a Gadwall) and Brimstone.

Much as I'd of liked to hang around for a bit longer I had an appointment of my own so I made my way back into Weldon before catching a bus home.

Priors Hall butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment