Monday 7 January 2019

Otter

Another early start today and I arrived in Oundle just as the sun was rising in my attempt to catch up with a Barnwell Otter. Unusually the Kingfisher Hide was empty and I had it to myself for the whole time that I was there. Settling in for a couple of hours watching I was grateful that the weather had remained mild and I actually took my coat off during my vigil.

Sunrise over the Nene.

At first I had to content myself with watching the cob swan of a pair chasing his cygnets from last year, I imagine it's time for them to clear his territory before breeding begins. The cygnets appeared to be a little slow on the uptake and he made repeated aggressive charges at them, the battle was still continuing when I left with all three still unvanquished. Other birds here included a Heron while a sinensis race Cormorant dropped in and caught several small fishes before taking off again. Two Mandarins were also seen hiding on the bank in their usual spot.

Aggressive swan and sinensis race Cormorant.

Movement to my left alerted me to the presence of an Otter fishing amongst the little islands. He spent more time down than up and was proving very difficult to photograph which was a little frustrating. Luckily it hauled itself out on to one of the islands and I managed a couple of shots before it slipped back into the water. The Otter was in view for about five minutes before it disappeared and I considered myself lucky but happily it or another showed again about half an hour later. While it was a bit on the distant side I enjoyed watching it fishing before it too disappeared, anyone in the Kingfisher CafĂ© would have had excellent views.

The star of the show.

Deciding that the Kingfishers were not going to make this a winning double I headed off to Lowlands Hide where a good selection of the commoner birds included a Treecreeper as well as Marsh Tit. From here I walked along the river as far as the floods. The good sized flock of Wigeon were still present and were joined on this occasion by a few gulls and about forty Lapwings. A brace of Egyptian Geese rounded off things and I went back into town for a celebratory pint or two of Wherry.

Egyptian Geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment