Saturday 12 January 2019

Duck Dipping

A day off work gave me the chance to head over to Summer Leys by way of Earls Barton. News that a drake Ring-necked Duck had been seen the previous day was a nice bonus as I'd already planned my day before this report came in. Arriving just as it got light I was treated to a brief glimpse of the rising sun before grey and drizzly conditions took hold.

Earls Barton sunrise and Great White Egret.

Mill Lake had a reasonable selection of ducks which I checked just in case but without finding any strangers in the camp. Next door at Hardwater Lake a Great White Egret was the highlight, another was seen on the reserve. In the fields next to the reserve a group of shooters had set up some goose decoys and their shots were heard throughout my visit, hopefully they didn't bag too many.

 
Wigeon and Shoveller.

Quite a few other birders were present on site with most of them also looking for the Ring-necked. As the title of this post may have hinted none of us were successful during the time that I was there. While there were a large number of ducks around they were all the regular types with Goldeneye probably the pick. Lots of Lapwings and Golden Plovers were seen though the best wader was a Ruff feeding on the bank near the Cormorant spit. Of the two Snipes seen today one showed very well from the Rotary Hide.

Snipe and Pheasant

The feeders were busy with the usual stuff which included good views of all. A quartet of Pheasants paid a brief visit while a party of Long-tailed Tits hung around for a bit longer. Marys Lake had rather a lot of Goldeneyes but little else and with news of the duck remaining negative I walked back towards Earls Barton. Three pints of Sea Fury in the Old Swan were a nice way to end the day before I caught my bus home.

Finch trio and Little Egret swallowing prey.

No comments:

Post a Comment