Wednesday 2 January 2019

Double Dip at Barnwell

An early start this morning as I headed over to Barnwell CP with the aim of catching up with the Otters that have been seen here recently. Arriving just as it began to get light I set up in the Kingfisher Hide and waited.... A couple of hours later with neither Otter or Kingfisher putting in an appearance and having shared the hide and the disappointment with two other dippers I decided to move on and look around the rest of the park.

Daybreak at the River Nene and Kingfisher.

A large numbers of Redwings were on site often filling the air with their calls as they flew around.. Siskins too seemed to be present in good numbers and I spent some time watching them feeding in alders. From Lowlands Hide there was the usual selection of species even though the feeders did not appear to have been filled. Nuthatches and a Marsh Tit were probably the best birds though a pair of Reed Buntings were also noted.

Gadwall, Nuthatch, Reed Bunting and Chaffinch.

Barnwell was beginning to get a tad too busy for my liking so I left to take a walk along the river. Apart from the usual heron or two and a Cormorant it seemed really quiet. The floods had a flock of over a hundred Wigeon and about twenty Teal but nothing else and I gave up and headed into town for an appointment with my return bus.

Blackbird and Canada Goose.

No comments:

Post a Comment