Wednesday 23 August 2017

There's Something Weird and Wonderful in the Willowherb

Well to be fair I thought that it was weird and wonderful, my wife's reaction was slightly less complimentary. To set the scene, a few years ago a small patch of Rosebay Willowherb started growing in my garden. When it comes to gardening I'm fairly weed tolerant if they have any wildlife value or are beautiful so I decided to let it carry on doing its thing. This year my live and let live attitude was rewarded with the discovery of the much hoped for Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillar munching its way through the leaves of my willowherb patch.
An Elephant Hawk-moth caterpillar.
Their trunklike neck lets them reach dinner.

Its been quite a while since I last saw one and I was struck by how big it was, the moth itself is one of the smaller hawk-moths but the caterpillar is al least three inches long. While its not attractive in the traditional sense it certainly is a striking creature. I would imagine that any small bird coming across one might be put of by the false eye spots and a slight resemblance to a Grass Snake's head. The little head is carried on a trunk like neck which coupled with the grey colouring probably gives this species its name. There appears to be face like markings on the rear end and also a spike like projection too which makes for a fairly complete collection of threatening markings which probably save it from all but the hungriest birds.
It probably won't win any beauty contests...
...but I bet it doesn't care a jot as long as there's plenty to eat.

After taking a few photographs I left it munching its way through the patch, I'm hoping it might eat most of the remaining willowherb plants so that I don't have to deal with them myself. Overly optimistic? You bet but there's no harm in hoping is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment