Saturday 12 August 2017

Grey Britannia*

* Well it was in my part of the world for much of the time.
Rockingham Castle.

I took a day off work today and to some degree wish that I hadn't. With the weather on the cloudy side for most of the morning there was not much to look at on my walk along the Welland Valley between Middleton and Gretton.
Here's looking at you kid, a White-legged Damsel.

At the river below Middleton the highlight was White-legged Damsel, half a dozen were seen. Aside from these only a Small White and a couple of Speckled Woods were seen. Things stayed on the dull side as I made my way towards Rockingham with little to distract me from the many speeding cars. At Rockingham sewage works a Grey Wagtail shared the settling bed with a couple of Chiffchaffs. The first genuinely interesting sighting for some time appeared at this point, a Spitfire and a De Haviland Dove making several passes. I think that it must have been a photo shoot but either way I love the sound of a Merlin engine.
Grey Wagtail.

The normally reliable Gretton Weir could not add many insects, a few Banded Demoiselles, another White-leg and a Migrant being the only dragonflies. Butterflies too were hard to find, an Essex Skipper and a couple of Small Torties were the only rewards for my searching. Thankfully birds took up some of the slack with a Kingfisher zooming past and adding a dash of colour. A Raven's croak had me looking upwards which in turn helped me find a passing Hobby, throw in a Sparrowhawk, some Buzzards and a few kites and it was more than OK.
A familiar site, a Red Kite.

I popped into the Hatton Arms in Gretton for a couple of ciders (you have to maintain fluid levels you know) and made my way to Brookfield. Not much here either, a few Southern Hawkers and more Migrants joining several Common Darters. Common Blue, Meadow Brown and Gatekeeper were the only new butterflies. Walking back towards home I walked across the old Sunday Market site where a few Small Heaths were the only addition to the list. I'm hoping that tomorrow will be better!
Buzzard.

No comments:

Post a Comment