Monday 14 August 2017

A Letter from Amer...Oops I mean Barnwell.

I braved the legions of squealing brats and headed over to Barnwell CP where apart from the kids, frazzled looking parents and plunge diving pooches there was also some wildlife. As I got an early bus I chose to walk along the river for a while so that the day could warm up a bit. Once again both Kingfishers and Herons showed well, I've said it before but this really is the most reliable area that I know for Kingfishers.
A view of the Nene from the south bridge, Oundle.

Beyond the Princess fishing lake I found a fox hunting in a stubble field, it was perhaps just as well for the rabbits that he left the horse paddocks alone where they could carry on with their breakfast. Large numbers of Swallows and House Martins are now gathering and feeding over the lakes and river, the sight of so many perching on lines is so evocative of this season. On the grass next to the marina a family party of Egyptian Geese were grazing until they copped a look at me and decided to make themselves scarce.
Rabbit on sentry duty.
Though this fox appeared to be a little too busy to bother bunnies.

With the day beginning to heat up a little the appearance of the first butterfly, a Gatekeeper which was then followed by a pair of Common Darter dragonflies suggested that it was time to give Barnwell a bash. Mill Lake where I saw lots of Small Red-eyed Damsels on a previous visit could only muster one this time. It did manage a female Emperor ovipositing, they seem to be getting a little scarcer as the Summer moves along now so I appreciate every sighting. Both Migrant and Brown Hawkers were seen, one of the latter posed nicely on a balsam plant.
Getting ready for the off.

Butterflies seemed scarce today with only a few species such as Comma and Peacock showing so it was with some surprise that I found a White-lettered Hairstreak. It was a rather shop worn example but a first at this site for me so I was pretty happy with it. Other butterflies were more run of the mill with some Speckled Woods, Small White and a Meadow Brown completing a less than extensive list.
Worn but still going strong, a White-lettered Hairstreak.
Emperor or rather Empress egg laying.

Banded Demoiselles are definitely declining as Autumn approaches and I had to search intently for them before finally finding a male. A few Common Blues did not live up to their name and a Blue-tailed or two were observed. On the largest lake, the one closest to Oundle, a good number of Red-eyed Damsels were present, I though that their season was all but over but that goes to show how much I know! They were joined by several Small Red-eyes and were the last interesting things that I saw today.
Brown Hawker.
Young Chaffinch moulting into adult plumage.

No comments:

Post a Comment