Sunday 6 August 2017

Hurry up Harry

A family lunch at the pub in Harringworth meant that I was a bit limited in what I could do today so I opted for the easy option and headed along the Jurassic Way to the Lodge Lake. While I didn't see anything out of the norm it was still a decent day.
The viaduct at Harringworth

Walking across the old Sunday market site produced little as it was still too early for insects and bird activity was minimal. In Brookfield the two species of regular deer, Muntjac and Fallow showed and the wood seemed alive with mixed flocks of tits and crests. An overflying Peregrine was appreciated by me at least, I'm not sure the local birdlife were as pleased to see it! Crossing the large field towards the flooded quarry the first Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns began to appear, the latter are now starting to look pretty ropey and faded. A newly emerged Common Darter flew weakly away with the sunlight glinting off shiny new wings.


Buzzard
 
Having passed through Gretton where Swifts are still scything through the sky I made my way on to the Jurassic Way stopping to admire a large flock of House Sparrows. Bright sunshine was having a good effect on insect numbers with Speckled Wood, Small Heath and Red Admiral being joined by first Brown Hawker and then Migrants. A pair of Ravens flew over croaking to each other and Buzzards were showing well too. A ragwort infested corner of a field was attracting a good number of Common Blue butterflies but little else. A Southern Hawker paused briefly but not long enough for a picture.
Speckled Wood
 
Just about hanging on, a Meadow Brown

First highlight at the lake was a Hobby which dashed past as if on a mission, bad news perhaps for local hirundines or dragonflies. For the second weekend in a row I found myself looking at a colony of Small Red-eyed Damsels with a minimum of ten noted including several mating pairs. Other damsels about included Common Blue and Blue-tailed. Dragons around the lake included Emperor and a latish Four-spotted Chaser while both species of darter were recorded. A brood of Great Crested Grebes were competing with a Muntjac to see who could be the loudest, I don't know who won the volume battle but honours were equal in the annoying stakes.
Deja vu, another site for Small Red-eyed Damsel.


 
Common Darter

The path between the lake and the road added a Sparrowhawk and Red Kites to the list while both Large and Green-veined Whites showed. As I reached the village about an hour before my dinner date I made my way to the Welland from where I had an excellent view of the viaduct. Clouds were beginning to become a bit of a problem but in sunnier periods rather a lot of Banded Demoiselles were dancing around and over the reeds. At least half a dozen White-legged Damsels were active too though the highlight for me was an Emerald Damsel, I've never seen one at a river before. I was able to get a record shot but it was by no means my finest hour!
Juvenile Bullfinch

That was pretty much it for the day though if you do find yourself in this neighbourhood I can recommend the Rutland cider, it's a nice way to support the local economy and a decent drop too.
Annoying kids, noisy grebe family.

No comments:

Post a Comment