Sunday 25 August 2024

Morning Walk At Priors

 After yesterday's rain it was nice to wake up to blue skies and sunshine this morning. I restricted my wandering to Priors Hall where I spent some time walking around the ponds near the golf course. Although a stiff breeze had a noticeable affect on the numbers of insects seen  there were still a few to look at in the more sheltered spots.

Record shots of Common and Green Sandpipers



I began by taking a look at the quarry lake where a Common and Green Sandpiper were noted. Around the ponds themselves a fly over Grey Wagtail may have been a migrant as I don't tend to see many here. Butterflies were keeping a low profile in the wind but I managed to see Small Heath, Common Blue, Small White and Speckled Wood on my travels. Similarly odes did not appear to enjoy the wind though good numbers of both of the common darters were showing. Three species of hawker - Brown, Migrant and Southern were also seen but the only damsels were Blue-tailed and Common Blue.

Migrant and Southern Hawkers.



It would have been rude not to visit the wobbly stones while I was in the area though I did not manage to see any Southern Migrant Hawkers, this may have been due to my being a bit early. I couldn't find any emerald damselflies either but the breeze was fairly strong and I didn't have much time before having to leave to catch my bus.

Common Blue and Small Heath



No comments:

Post a Comment