Monday 19 August 2024

More Migrant Chat

 Yesterday I posted pictures of the Priors Hall male Southern Migrant Hawker that was briefly joined by another during my visit. At the time I thought that it was the same one that I photographed on Saturday but having gone over the photographs it seems as if I got pictures of a second individual.



The original insect (top) and the later arrival.



At the time I did notice differences but wrongly assumed they  were natural wear and tear to the original one rather than proof that a second dragonfly was present. The first was a fairly fresh looking specimen with no signs of damage and with clear wings. The second on the other hand had almost frosted looking wings, a damaged or deformed segment 2 on its abdomen and smaller yellow antehumeral stripes. I've just learnt that the markings on segments 8,9 and 10 of the abdomen are unique to an individual and you can see the differences in the pictures. It seems as if Alan's original specimen has been driven off and usurped by the interloper though it returned briefly at least twice during our visit.

Close up of the thoraxes of both SMHs.



This constitutes the first occurrence of multiple individuals in the county, the only previous records were of single males at Finedon Pocket Park in two different years. Hopefully this attractive species will become a regular breeding member of our ode community in much the same way that Small Red-eyed Damselfly, Willow Emerald and Scarce Chaser have become. I'll await future developments with much interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment