Sunday 28 April 2024

Dire

With the morning being so damp and dreary I took the opportunity to do a few bits and bobs at home as well as a bit of shopping whilst hoping conditions might get better. By noon they had improved enough to suggest that a local foray might be worth making, how I wish that I'd stayed at home!

My walk took me along to Willowbrook and then Priors Hall before I walked on to Weldon and my return bus home. Willowbrook was poor, a few Fallow Deer were the only things on view. The plover site was lacking in plovers and anything else for that matter and I began to rue my decision to leave the house. Neither of the gullets at Priors Hall could lighten the mood, all I can remember were dog walkers who were letting their poochy pals run free off the lead. Away from the mutts and the quarry lake failed to produce too, the Great Crested Grebes appear to have moved on and I didn't even see any Sand Martins. After what must have been one of my worst sorties ever I threw the towel in and headed for home.


I've just learnt that Pioneer Hide at Summer Leys has been subjected to an attack by vandals and may be closed for some time. I'm angered and saddened by the antics of whichever slack jawed and knuckle dragging morons were responsible but not surprised, we're living in a time when idiotic behaviour is becoming almost the norm. In our age of throwaway tech and fashions it seems as if little has any lasting value, if we break it then what the hell - why not get another? I'm sure that the people responsible, who were probably young adults rather than kids, will not give the matter another thought. People are apt to call this sort of behaviour mindless but it's not, all actions require a certain amount of thought it's just that the thought processes involved are alien to most of us. It would be nice to think that the arseholes involved might suffer some sort of punishment but I doubt whether the police would do anything even if they caught them. My heart goes out to the wildlife trust and the reserve volunteers and to all those people (including myself) that use the hide, hopefully they can fix it without breaking the bank.

I didn't take any pictures today so here's a few more shots from Majorca.











No comments:

Post a Comment