Sunday 30 April 2023

Tringa Trio

 I haven't been to Oundle for a while and news of a drake Garganey on floodwater near the Lower Barnwell Lock was enough to tempt me into popping over. With the weather set fair and single fares still costing just two quid on the X4 my day's schedule was fixed and I found myself at the Nene just after half nine. A Cuckoo was calling as I began to scan the still rather extensively flooded area near the A605. Initial efforts did not reveal the target although there were still a few other dabblers around including Teal and Shovellers. Further scans revealed a Redshank and a few Lapwings as well as a grazing Muntjac but of the duck there was not a sign. Being of a rather dogged nature I continued my search and found a Wood Sandpiper emerging from some waterside sedges. I have to say this more than compensated for my ducky dipping as I've seen far fewer Wood Sands in Northants than I have Garganeys. I watched it for over an hour taking a few dreadful record shots as I did so. After twenty minutes or so a loud call announced the arrival of a Greenshank. More rubbishy record shots followed until it departed at about 11:20, I followed its example soon after.



Dodgy record shot time! - Wood sandpiper and Greenshank.



Having left the flood behind I walked along the river towards Barnwell CP. A male Banded Demoiselle was flushed up from waterside nettles and posed for a few seconds before heading off into cover. Those nettles proved attractive to Small Tortoiseshells too as over ten were noted, I suspect they were probably egg laying females. Other butterflies on show were a Brimstone, several Orange-tips and a couple of Small Whites. Near the marina a singing Garden Warbler showed well but very briefly while Whitethroats now seem to be well established. Across the road near Oundle Mill a female Holly Blue was noted, another was seen in the park a little later on. During my walk I was able to photograph a probable Silver-Y moth, whether it was a migrant or not is hard to say.

Banded Demoiselle and Silver-Y



Barnwell was predictably busy and I didn't hang around for too long. Bird highlight was a quartet of drake Mandarins near Kingfisher Hide. I couldn't find any dragon or damselflies on my walk but my butterfly list grew slightly as the result of a sighting of Green-veined White. With the time for my return bus drawing closer I left the park and headed towards the town where I enjoyed a couple of pints before catching my bus home.

Holly Blue, Small Tortoiseshell and Swallow.




No comments:

Post a Comment