Sunday 9 April 2023

Slow Start, Better Later

 It was a grey and rather cold scene that greeted me this morning as I began my local walk. The weather forecast had suggested that the winds might be favourable for some migration but if they were it didn't happen anywhere near me! In truth I struggled to find much of note as I walked around a few industrial areas in the town before heading along to Priors Hall.

Kestrel and Fallow Deer



A check on the Ringed Plover site did produce sightings of two while at least one Little Ringed Plover was heard. Nearby Willowbrook Industrial Estate held a few Willow Warblers, Priors Hall held some too. Neither of the gullets at Priors Hall produced any interesting sightings though the Sand Martin colony at the quarry lake seems to be doing well. I moved on for a first look at the ponds this year but they failed to add much of interest other than a couple of Peacocks. Bumping into Alan Shorrock it seemed as if he was having a less than exciting day too and we had a brief chinwag before going our separate ways.

Ringed Plover record shot


At this time of the year when the birding's a little dull there's always a chance that the butterflies might save the day and happily that proved to be the case today. This morning's dullness had been replaced by lengthening spells of sunshine and by the time I'd reached Weldon it was pleasantly warm. My first Small White had a little tussle with another white butterfly before it settled briefly. Three male Brimstones were seen in the village though none settled, a similar number of Small Tortoiseshells were more obliging and included an egg laying female. Leaving Weldon behind I stopped near the town's STW for a quick look. This turned out to be a good idea as I found my first Comma of the year as well as a further two Peacocks. Happy that  I'd seen at least a few things to make my day worthwhile I headed back to the village.

Small White, Comma and Small Tortoiseshell.




No comments:

Post a Comment