Sunday 23 April 2023

Damsel Debut

 Today's weather was much better than the forecast suggested though it was still a typically April type blend of showers and sunshine with quite a few cloudy spells thrown in for good measure. I kept it local today dividing my time between Weldon, Priors Hall and some of Corby's industrial estates. Overall it was a decent day with more than a couple of firsts for the year to keep things interesting.

Wheatears



I began my day at Weldon where a walk around the pond at the Woodland Park failed to produce much of interest. Not too far away near the A43 pond a singing Whitethroat was a year first, there wasn't much on the pond itself. From here I ambled along to  the Ringed Plover site where I was able to confirm that they're still present. Not too far away at Willowbrook Industrial Estate at least seven Wheatears were found, this site really is doing well for them this Spring. Completing my whitethroat double was a Lesser Whitethroat rattling away from a hedgerow near the CBA. A singing Reed Warbler was heard at the pond while the song flighting Meadow Pipit remains on site.

Green-veined and Small Whites



The North Gullet at Priors Hall was quiet with just a Sedge Warbler and another song flighting Meadow Pipit to report. Close by a Yellow Wagtail flew over the South Gullet and was a year first. Walking along the A43 towards the ponds produced a season first Green-veined White nectaring on roadside dandelions, these yellow flowers really are a good source of food for early butterflies. Around the ponds I managed to find a female Large Red Damselfly which obligingly posed for a few pictures. I've been looking for them for a few weeks so it was good to catch up with her. No birds to report from here but some lengthening sunny spells tempted more butterflies out with three Speckled Woods, a Small White, a Peacock and five Orange-tips on the wing. I returned to Weldon with time to spare so took the opportunity to have a pint in the George before catching my bus home.

Large Red Damselfly.


No comments:

Post a Comment