Thursday 12 January 2023

X Rated

 Stagecoach are running a promotion at the moment where you can buy a single ticket for two quid to anywhere included in the deal. This and a day off tempted me into taking the X4 over to Wellingborough for a spot of birding along the embankment.

Great White Egret and Yellow-legged Gull



I ended up regretting my decision to some extent as the outward journey in particular was fairly horrendous. My bus doubled as the school bus and I had the dubious pleasure of listening to assorted student blah blah for what seemed like hours. Happily most of the teenage lug tormentors got off at Kettering taking their inane banter with them. Thinking that the journey would now improve considerably turned out to be a tad premature. A car crash on the A509 reduced the traffic to a crawl when it moved at all and it took an interminable amount of time (twenty five minutes actually but it seemed much longer at the time!) to clear the jam.  With the air on the bus growing increasingly tainted by flatulent emissions it was with some relief that I finally emerged into the relatively clean air of the Wellingborough rush hour. 

Caspian Gull



I'd love to say that my efforts were rewarded but I suspect it would have taken more than the embankment could offer to erase memories of the journey. There was a trio of Great White Egrets spread between Chester House Lake and nearby Ditchford while the duck population included both Goldeneye and Pochards. A couple of Ravens having a territorial dispute caused quite an uproar, the victorious bird returned back towards the town while the vanquished one headed over the river. The highlight of my visit was the presence of adult Yellow-legged and adult Caspian Gulls on Chester House Lake. Rubbish record shots were taken, the usual enemies of bad light and distance hampered my photographic efforts. Fine drizzle began to fall and I retreated to the pub for a couple of ciders before tackling the journey home, mercifully it was much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment