Monday 11 October 2021

Pinkies Make Me Perky

 Back to local stuff today after yesterday's travels and I pretty much repeated last Monday's walk though without the stop near the STW. Some decent weather made for a pleasant wander and also brought out a few late season insects. The highlight today was a little unexpected but at least it helped to feel like less of an anti climax after yesterday's excitements.

Pink-footed Geese and Stonechat.




I began at Willowbrook Industrial where things kicked off with a small herd of Fallow Deer that moved back into cover before I could raise my camera. Birding was initially a bit of a snore fest, there were plenty of birds about but nothing to remark on. Chiffchaffs remain in the area while Jays made a couple of appearances and a trio of Canada Geese were an unusual record for the area. More feral wildfowl dross in the shape of four Greylag Geese were responsible for today's star find. While looking at the quartet of humdrum honkers I noticed a high flying flock of geese moving in a southeasterly direction. A look through the bins revealed them to be Pink-footed Geese, thirteen in total and only my second record in the county. Still buzzing from my find I almost stumbled into the pair of Stonechats that seem to be settling in well. Neither hung around for long however and I only managed one shot. Not a great deal else to report other than a female Common Darter near the pond.

Comma and Red Admiral.



My stroll along to Weldon took me past the A43 pond where I found little of interest. Ivy flowers near by however were rather more productive as about half a dozen Red Admirals joined a single Comma and a buzzing crowd of bees hoverflies and wasps nectaring on them. A stroll along the stream failed to produce any sightings of Banded Demoiselle and it looks as if their season has finally come to an end. There were still a few damsels to enjoy however as several Willow Emeralds were active around the pond at the Woodland Park. Other odes observed there today were Southern and Migrant Hawkers and more Common Darters.

Willow Emerald, Southern and Migrant Hawkers.




No comments:

Post a Comment