Monday 18 October 2021

Nothing Too Exciting - Thank Goodness!

 As the title may have hinted it was not one of my most interesting forays out into the wilds today but that turned out to be fine with me. I accidentally deleted all my pictures before I could load them on to the computer so the fact that I didn't lose any photos of decent stuff came as a relief! My wanderings took me from Upper Benefield to Deenethorpe and then to Deene before returning to Weldon via the airfield. It was grey for the most part with just the occasional sunny spell and I was pretty happy to dodge the rain that came later.


My stroll from Benefield was fairly birdy, the local farmer's have been doing assorted tractory type stuff which appears to have attracted good numbers of birds. There were quite a few flocks of seed eaters feeding on the edges of those fields where some stubble remained, most were either Yellowhammers or Chaffinches but there was an occasional Tree Sparrow with them. Skylark numbers seemed high and their calls and song were a feature of my walk. Gulls in particular seemed drawn to the newly tilled fields with Black-headeds providing most of the sightings. Another species putting in a good performance were Lapwings with a flock of a hundred plus being seen.


Deene Lake was a little quiet, a single Shelduck has returned and there were a few Wigeon present but there really wasn't much else to report birdwise. Highlight was a brief view of an Otter swimming near the inflow, at the time I was annoyed that I didn't get a pic but I'm more relaxed about that now! Deenethorpe airfield was fairly quiet too, just a few more Skylarks, some Linnets, a couple of Meadow Pipits and three Redwings to report. All in all one of my more uneventful trips but you can't expect to win all of the time. I've included a few pics from previous trips to make up for my photographic faux pas.








No comments:

Post a Comment