Sunday 28 June 2020

Thar She Glows

My brother and I made a late visit to the wildlife trust reserve at Collyweston hoping to see some Glow Worms. This is a species that I saw a few times during the 1980's at Souther Wood whilst looking for Nightjars but I hadn't seen one in the county since.

Sunset.

I wasn't entirely optimistic that our efforts would meet with success due to the still strong and fairly cool breeze but we waited patiently for night to fall. Some other wildlife made the wait a little more bearable with an overhead Yellow Wagtail the first to show. Somewhat later a Sparrowhawk came past and was presumably trying to catch something on its way to roost. There were good numbers of Rabbits on site and it was these that probably encouraged a young Fox to pay a visit.

Curious Rabbit and Glow Worm.

Once the sun had set and it was becoming dark my brother managed to find a single female Glow Worm. The green glow was fairly bright and was visible from six or seven feet away and I took a rubbishy record shot. It was good to catch up with one again in the county, I hope the next sighting won't take as long!

No comments:

Post a Comment