Wednesday 24 June 2020

After Work at Weldon.

It's not too often that my plans work out exactly as I want them to do but today was an exception. I'd planned to pop down to Weldon after work with the idea of seeing my first Small Red-eyed Damselflies of the year and I did! Very hot conditions seemed to suit them well and I managed to see about half a dozen.

Male (top) and female Small Red-eyed Damselfly.

My first views were pretty mediocre, heat hazy distant males clinging to the Rigid Hornwort out in the middle of the pond. While I hoped that some might appear on closer aquatic vegetation it just wasn't to be. Happily during my many searches for Willow Emeralds last year I found out that Small Red-eyes often perch on the tips of waterside trees and a scan today produced good views of a male. Not long after finding him I saw a pair in flight though they weren't mating it looked more as if the male was giving the female a tow. He moved on but the female stayed for a bit giving me the opportunity to take a few pictures.

Common Blue Damselflies and Black-tailed Skimmer.

Common Blue Damselflies truly lived up to their name with many splitting their time between the pond and the bankside plants. Also present and providing some direct comparison were some Red-eyed Damselflies. My damsel list for today was rounded off by a few Blue-tailed and a male Banded Demoiselle. Not too many dragons were seen though two Emperors and an equal number of Black-tailed Skimmers did brave the heat.

Emperor and Small Skipper.

Although I had my "ode" head on today I did notice a few butterflies of which two Marbled Whites were perhaps the highlight. Other species observed were Meadow Brown, Small White, Small Skipper, Comma and Red Admiral. Only one bird of note and that was a Kingfisher that made a brief stop before speeding off.

No comments:

Post a Comment