Saturday 6 June 2020

Shower Dodging

Today's weather was if anything worse than yesterday with what felt like more and heavier showers. I waited until almost noon before venturing out and then headed over to the Oundle area. For a change I walked along to Stoke Doyle before retracing my steps and heading for the more familiar territory of Barnwell CP.

Not entirely sure that I believe this.

The river bank near the village held several Scarce Chasers sheltering from the rainier spells and a small selection of damselflies of which Banded Demoiselles were the commonest. Smaller numbers of Blue-tailed and a few Red-eyed Damselflies were also noted. Few butterflies ventured out in the conditions though a few Meadow Browns and a Large Skipper did give it a go. A family party of Grey Wagtails were the best birds and a Kingfisher was heard.

Juvenile Grey Wagtail and Scarce Chaser.

My visit to Barnwell was blessed with a little more sunshine and it brought a few more damsels and dragons out. Highlight was finally being able to photograph Hairy Dragonflies, I was beginning to think that I wouldn't get any shots this year. A male landed fairly close to me as it sheltered from the strong breeze and unlike the previous ones I was able to see where it landed. Having taken plenty of pics I left him where he was and continued my walk. At this point a female Hairy crashed on to the path in front of me and I moved her to a safer place before moving on. Commonest dragon here was the increasingly less accurately named Scarce Chaser while there were singles of both Emperor and Four-spotted Chaser.

Male and female Hairy Dragonflies.

I didn't really put any effort into finding Variable Damselflies today and only noted a few Azures. Banded Demoiselles outnumbered all the other species combined though Blue-tailed were fairly common, this species always seems less bothered by cloud than others. A few Common Blues and rather more Red-eyeds were also observed. Few butterflies were active here either with just a couple of Small Tortoiseshells and a Small White flitting about.

Blue-tailed and Common Blue Damselflies.

Not too many interesting birds were found though I did see my first Common Tern of the year and also heard another Kingfisher.

Peacock caterpillars and juvenile Robins.

No comments:

Post a Comment