Sunday 26 November 2017

Winter Arrives

We had the first snow of the year yesterday and I hope that it was not a sign of things to come. This morning dawned cold and clear with a heavy frost and it was more in hope than in expectation that I went to Priors Hall in search of Common Darters. I'd spent yesterday at a family wedding and despite enjoying the delights of a free bar I was clear headed enough to get there while the sun was still shining.
A darter free Priors Hall.

Sadly despite a great deal of searching I could not find any and I'm left to think that this time they may finally have succumbed to the cold. Having said that I've made similar claims in the past and have ended up with egg on my face so....Not a great deal else to mention, a group of five Fallow Deer were seen as they ran from one strip of woodland to another. Raptors were represented by Kestrel, a Buzzard and several kites while a few Siskins were also noted.

The lake had little of interest, a single female Tufted Duck had joined the Mute Swans while there was a group of Great Black-backed and Herring Gulls having a pre roost wash.
Spooky, a headless Heron.

At the A43 pond there was a large group of Mallards, a pair of Gadwalls and three Tufted Ducks as well as a snoozing Heron while a Grey Wagtail flew over. By this stage the sun had disappeared and given way to cold rain so I headed off home.

No comments:

Post a Comment