Friday 10 November 2017

Last Word From Norfolk

During our stay we took several trips away from Wells and on the 7th I persuaded my wife to stop near Stiffkey where I hoped to see the two Cattle Egrets that had been reported. Happily this presented no challenge at all as both showed well if distantly. In fact I was to get drive by sightings on two subsequent occasions when passing by. A large flock of geese feeding in the same area turned out to be Greylags and not the expected Pinkies.
Cattle Egrets.

Visits to both Sheringham and Hunstanton produced little in the way of nature though Turnstones showed very well at both sites. I did have a quick peek for Purple Sandpipers at both locations but didn't want to test my wife's patience too much!
Pink-footed Geese.

So overall not that bad a trip, I'm always happy to catch up with Twite and particularly when I find my own. Seeing three egret species in Britain and in November too would have been out of the question when I first visited Norfolk in the seventies but seems to be becoming almost routine in some places now.
Turnstones.

Of the six species of mammal that I saw only two were native and they were the two seals, what would our countryside look like without these foreign arrivals? Ah well time to leave such musings aside and get on with some Northamptonshire nature...
It's the seaside so you have to have some gull pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment