Monday 11 September 2017

Wicksteed Return

Showing a complete lack of imagination I repeated last Monday's wander and returned to Wicksteed Park hoping that the brighter weather might encourage something in the way of some dragonfly activity. Sunny spells did entice three Migrant Hawkers out to hunt but there was nothing else on view and I will have to return yet again if I hope to find Willow Emeralds. No butterflies either though I did see a single Small White near to my bus stop in Corby, exciting stuff or what?
Adult Yellow-legged Gull

Despite a lack of insect activity I still rather enjoyed my walk as there were a few nice birds on view. Gull numbers have increased since last week with well over a hundred Black-headed to search through. Still no sign of a Med but there were an additional four species. As well as the Commons sharing the posts with the Black-heads there was a small flock of larger gulls, mainly Lesser Black-backs but also two Herrings and the day's highlight, an adult Yellow-legged Gull.
Another hopefully better pic of a Kingfisher.

Still only the regular waterfowl on the lake but at least the Mallards are beginning to look a little more respectable. For the second week running a male Kingfisher was seen, I still have not managed to get a decent picture of one but think I may have got slightly better snaps today. Little Egret numbers had risen to four and any anglers would probably not have enjoyed the increase in Cormorant numbers on the fishing lake.
Grey Wagtail.
Two for one deal this week on Little Egrets.

A few Meadow Pipits passing overhead and there were some Sand Martins in amongst the other hirundines. Nice views of Grey Wagtail near the boardwalk, a party of three were present and included at least one youngster. Finally a passing Sparrowhawk caused a little consternation amongst the tits before it spiralled upwards and drifted off towards Barton Segrave.
I hope that this Cormorant was not passing comment on my hunt for Willow Emeralds!

No comments:

Post a Comment