Monday 4 September 2017

The Wicky Man

With the Summer holidays now over I thought I might be able to enjoy a quieter visit to Wicksteed Park over in Kettering. As a result of the new school year beginning my bus was full of pupils heading out to be educated. I didn't know that "innitlikebro" was a word before and while I still have no clue as to its meaning I'm still glad to have been educated a little myself. The 7.56 bus left the train station in Corby at the same time as a train and I have a worrying suspicion that the train was reaching London at about the same time that I got off my bus, it's not an express service by any means. Had to admire the driver though, she was more like a modern day Boudicca at the reins of her chariot, fare blaggers were sent packing with a quick word while dodgy drivers were vanquished with a loud blast from the bus's horn. Always a pleasure to see a craftsperson at work.
A good place for a stag do.

With the weather a bit on the dismal side there was no prospect of insect activity and so I enjoyed what the birdlife had to offer. A Kingfisher was seen on several occasions, the colours always seem that little bit more HD in such conditions. Other fish botherers included a Cormorant, three Grey Herons and a pair of Little Egrets. The herons in particular seem accustomed to people and allowed a surprisingly close approach.
Kingfisher.
Grey Heron.

Not many ducks to watch and aside from three Shovellers consisted solely of a large number of Mallards. A pair of late nesting Great Crested Grebes sent a juvenile from another brood packing, there was at least one other young 'un about. Other successful breeders included Mute Swan, Moorhen and Coot. A growing flock of Black-headed Gulls had been joined by some Commons though I couldn't pick out anything else amongst them.
Little Egret shining in the dull conditions.
These looked pretty good too.

Quite a lot of passerine activity with several large flocks of tits roving around and also a few warblers such as Chiffchaff and Blackcap. A Great Spotted Woodpecker did pose obligingly in a dead tree but the duff light meant that any picture would have been pretty awful. This was not a problem though with a couple of Peacocks, they positively gleamed and looked as resplendent as ever.
Great Crested Grebes.
Simples me duck. No Russian accents for Kettering Meer cats.

A few non birdy things, the little trains are still giving rides around the park which meant taking a little more care when walking near the tracks, even a titchy train must hurt if it hits you!. Another and a rather impressive sight at that was a wicker sort of stag man thingy, I thought that the people of Kettering had been converted to Christianity but now I'm not so sure. If I'd seen anyone that looked remotely like Christopher Lee I'd have done a runner. One final thing, Wicksteed now has some Meer cats and I absolutely had to go and have a squint at them even if they did seem to be missing the African sun and appeared a bit dejected. Not sure if they had Russian or Kettering accents though.

No comments:

Post a Comment