Monday 18 September 2017

Hawkers

Before I start banging on about today's offerings I must begin by saying that the possible Black Darter from yesterday was in fact a very definite darkly coloured female Common Darter. I've not seen one that dark before but should perhaps have considered this option before settling on Black. Never mind it just means that I'll have to go and look at some real ones.
Egyptian Geese.
The most visible of seven Mandarins.

Today I journeyed over to Oundle where I once again hoped to find some Willow Emeralds and once again failed. My walk along the Nene did not produce a single dragon though that may have had something to do with the early hour. It didn't take long to see the first of three Kingfishers speeding down the river and the marina had a small family group of Egyptian Geese. More Meadow Pipits and hirundines continue to pass through though they were the only signs of migration.
Comma.
Green-veined White.

By the time I had got back to Barnwell CP the sun was fairly warm and had brought out some Red Admirals to feed on the Ivy flowers, a nearby Comma ignored the nectar and appeared to be basking on some brambles. Other species of butterflies included the three common whites and Speckled Wood.
Male Brown Hawker.
....and a closer look at him.

Mill Lake still held three Small Red-eyed Damselflies and also a small number of Migrant Hawkers. A little further on a Brown Hawker posed well and while I was photographing this a Southern Hawker appeared and flew around me several times. Close scrutiny of the banksides revealed seven Mandarin Ducks which had concealed themselves pretty well amongst the vegetation.
A couple of views of male Migrant Hawker.

The largest lake, the one nearest Oundle had more Migrant Hawkers and several were very obliging with one even hovering long enough to let me grab a flight shot. A single Common Blue showed very well here too, I'm not sure how many more of those I'll see this year.
Common Blue Damselfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment