Friday 22 September 2017

Demoiselles Dance On

Having spent the whole day at work peering out at blue skies I was more than relieved to find the sun still shining once two o'clock came around. Wanting to exploit the conditions for as long as possible I stayed local and so went down to Weldon to have a further gawp at the Banded Demoiselles.
Male Banded Demoiselle.
 
A female Banded.

Luckily enough there were still a few around the stream, seven in total and this included four males. Two pairs were coupled and showed rather well and it was also nice to see their territorial dance. Although I'm hoping one or two might linger into next month I was still pretty happy to see this gorgeous species today so late into the season.
Two different coupled pairs.

With the cycling event now well and truly over I was once again able to walk around the pond. An Emerald Damsel was my first for the site although I've long anticipated seeing them here. It did not hang around for long but while I was trying to find him again I located a Blue-tailed Damsel which is quite a late sighting. A female Southern Hawker flying around the margins was surprised by a male which snatched her out of the air and bore off with her to places unseen. Clearly dragonfly courtship is a little more abrupt than that of the Demoiselles.
A site first Emerald Damsel.

A Migrant Hawker was also found while a brace of Small Red-eyeds were seen, one of these showed very well. By this stage a light rain shower was falling so I took off and headed home.
A nice close Small Red-eyed Damsel.

Other wildlife highlights included both Heron and Kingfisher while butterflies seen where Small and Large White, Red Admiral and Speckled Wood.
Awful pic of a Blue-tailed Damsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment