Sunday, 20 September 2026

Early Autumn Wander

 I found myself out and about in the county again after several incidences of treachery though I ventured no further than Priors Hall. A traditionally late X4 gave me the chance to listen to several Chiffchaffs singing in the pleasantly warm sunshine while the village House Martins are still feeding young in the nest. Once the bus had dropped me off in Weldon I took the short stroll to Priors where I began at the quarry lake. There was little to report from here and I soon moved on towards the ponds hoping for a little more of interest.

Common Blue, Small Copper and Small Heath




I wasn't the only thing enjoying the autumnal sunshine as a selection of insects were on the wing in those spots that were sheltered from what was a pretty stiff breeze. Common Blue butterflies were living up to their name and were joined in the grassland areas by a diminishing number of Small Heaths and a tatty looking Small Copper. Around the alders Speckled Woods became the dominant species with a couple of Red Admirals and a Small White for company. Commonest ode was the appropriately named  Common Darter, small numbers of Ruddies were also on show. A Brown and several Migrant Hawkers completed the dragon roster while the only damsels on view were Willow Emeralds.

Red Admiral, Speckled Wood and Brown Hawker




Interesting birds were few and far between, a Cetti's Warbler singing at the large reed fringed pond the definite and indeed only highlight. It was only my second site record following on from another September singer several years ago. I don't see many Cetti's away from the Nene Valley though they are regular at Wicksteed park and occasionally encountered at Deene. With the spectre of shopping and the cooking of Sunday dinner looming in my thoughts I had to throw in the towel at about noon and returned to Weldon to catch my bus home.


Willow Emerald, Migrant Hawker and Common and Ruddy Darter portraits







No comments:

Post a Comment