Saturday, 25 July 2026

Back To Ole Blue Eyes

 I was supposed to making my annual pilgrimage to Norfolk in search of Nightjars with my brother today but some concerns about the weather meant that our jaunt was postponed. A more than acceptable alternative was found when I joined up with Shozzer for a trawl around some local sites on the hunt for interesting insects. In the morning at least it was warm and sunny with just a hint of a breeze and we began our day at Deenethorpe Airfield.

Auster aeroplane and Emerald damselfly



In truth it was all a bit on the dull side at the airfield, an Auster aeroplane taking off was my highlight. An Emperor dragonfly was the best of the odes while the top butterfly was a Painted Lady. We moved on to Priors Hall where Alan wanted to check out the site where we saw Southern Migrant Hawker last year. It turned out to be a good idea as we saw two males patrolling their territories and I enjoyed watching one for over half an hour before it eventually landed allowing us to get some pictures. Also of interest in the general area was a male Emerald damselfly, I sometimes struggle to see this attractive species. Nearby at a new pond near the Kirby Woodlands housing development I saw Small Red-eyed Damsel while a Four-spotted Chaser was also seen.

Southern Migrant Hawker



By the time that we reached the southern gullet at Priors Hall the clouds had rolled in and obscured the sun but we hung around for a bit nonetheless. I had brief views of a fly by Clouded Yellow which was my first of the year while at the quarry lake there was a Little Ringed Plover with a juvenile suggesting that local breeding took place. A few Ruddy Darters were flying around and we also saw a few Brown Argus butterflies before we headed off to the 'spoons for a welcome pint.

Small Red-eyed Damselfly and Little Ringed Plovers



No comments:

Post a Comment