Sunday, 19 July 2026

A Modest Return

 After last night's boozing and then the football I got up somewhat later than I normally do on a Sunday morning which meant that I missed my usual bus. Thinking of an alternative took a little while but eventually I settled on taking a stroll to the pond at Little Stanion. I usually manage at least one visit during the year and today was the day. It was mainly sunny with a bit of a breeze which may have had an adverse effect on the number of insects that I saw.

Black-tailed Skimmer and Moorhen



My walk took me through Eurohub and along Longcroft Road before reaching one of Corby's new suburbs.  The grassland around the lake is parched and yellow with just a few Gatekeepers to look at, they appear to be the commonest species at the moment. Odes were scarce too though I may well have been too early for them. Black-tailed Skimmers were the only dragon while Blue-tailed and Common Blue represented the damsels. After one and a half fairly unproductive circuits of the pond I opted to leave, the only birds that I can recall were some half grown Moorhen chicks which looked like miniature Emus!

Silver-washed Fritillaries



My walk home was a little more interesting, three female Silver-washed Fritillaries were seen nectaring and although they're starting to look a little raggedy they are still stunning butterflies. Other species seen included Ringlet and Common Blue. The Eurohub pond is looking pretty dry but I found a few odes in the general area. Both species of darter were found and I also saw a Brown Hawker and Black-tailed Skimmer. Best damsel was a male Willow Emerald, this is one of the sites where I first found them back in those all too recent days when they were colonising the county.

Ruddy and Common Darters and Willow Emerald




My garden received a visit from a Hummingbird Hawk-moth which was the third this week though today's shunned the Buddleia and opted to visit the Honeysuckle instead. Up to three Gatekeepers were also present and I saw the day's only Comma and Red Admiral, several Small Whites also paid a call. Not the most exciting morning perhaps but it sets me up for watching a certain football match which I shall watch with more than a hint of regret  for what could have been.

Female Gatekeeper and Comma



No comments:

Post a Comment