Sunday 24 December 2023

Christmas Eve

 I awoke with the self-satisfied smirk of someone who had completed their Christmas shopping and who didn't have to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Tescolian or Asdarian hordes. With some free time available to me I decided to pop out and do a spot of birding before preparations for the big day commanded my attention. It was a blustery morning for the most part with the wind sending clouds scudding across the sky, there was the odd bright spell and the occasional showery interval which made for some varied weather conditions if nothing else.

Red Kite


My walk took me through the Willowbrook industrial estate where I hoped that the still berry laden bushes might have attracted some Waxwings. Sadly for me they had not but I'm still hopeful that they might do so before the winter ends. At Brookfield Plantation roaring gusts of wind caused the tree tops to sway and the air was filled with the creaks and groans of moving branches. A Grey Wagtail greeted me on arrival and rather a large flock of Redwings had been drawn to the hawthorns. Several Jays were screeching and their harsh calls were one of the few sounds audible above the wind. Small groups of Siskins were noted at several points, I got a few pics but the light was terrible. Any hopes that I had harboured of seeing Crossbills were not realised and I left without adding much to my meagre list.




Not one of my finest outings perhaps but even a poor day's birding is better than a good day's shopping! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all and I hope that the season brings you all that you want.

Never mid the Robins - have a festive Stonechat instead Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment