Saturday 10 September 2022

Getting About

 It was a game of two halves today  as I split my activities between Corby and Suffolk. My first excursion was a solo effort to the area near the town's STW where my search for migrant birds drew a blank. The second part was more successful as my brother, Alan and I saw at least eight Stone Curlews at a site in Suffolk. While the morning's weather was a bit iffy the afternoon's was somewhat better as the predominantly grey skies gave way to sunnier spells.

Grey Wagtail and Willow Eneralfd.



With no migrants on view near the STW it was left to Grey Wagtails to provide the familiar but still welcome birding highlight as I saw several along the stream. The weather for the most part was far from insect friendly though a Small White butterfly did show itself. During one of the sunnier periods I found a male Willow Emerald which posed nicely for pics. A scan of twigs around one of the ponds resulted in me taking a few record shots of a female Willow.

Stone Curlew and Rabbit



After a spot of lunch I teamed up with my brother David for a trip to Suffolk in the company of Shozzer. Our main goal was to see some of the Stone Curlews that gather here before migrating south. We were lucky in the end as a total of eight of these unusual waders were noted. The birds were always distant and the pics were accordingly dodgy but it was good to see them nonetheless. Little else was seen other than several family parties of Stonechats which were noted around the heath.

Small White


No comments:

Post a Comment