Sunday 18 September 2022

A Right Royal Raven Ruckus

Ever the glutton for punishment I headed back to Willowbrook Industrial Estate for another wander. You may recall that last week's visit was far from interesting and it was with some trepidation that I began my look around. Weatherwise it wasn't too bad, hazy sunshine to begin which gave way to cloudier spells as the morning progressed. Although the strong north westerly breeze persisted it was quite warm in sheltered spots and a few insects were tempted out during the occasional sunny spell.

Ravens





A female Stonechat was seen near the pond and was a welcome sighting after last week's poor show. While walking towards the grandstand at the old Rockingham Speedway I disturbed a small herd of Fallow Deer which bounded off through the tall thistles. Several Siskins, my first of the autumn, flew southwards and small numbers of Meadow Pipits and Starlings also appeared to be on the move. As I neared the boundary fence the quiet was disturbed by the arrival of some Ravens. A cacophony of croaking, cawing and sundry other noises ensued as the pair looked to drive a presumed interloper into their territory away. Acting in unison they swooped and dove before circling around and repeating the attack. I managed to locate the intruder perched on the grandstand and it appeared to be calling in defiance at the pair. Fascinated I watched the battle for what seemed like ages before the pair drove off their foe, I have never seen such sustained Raven activity before and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Although the pair headed off towards Deene they returned on several occasions as if to proclaim their victory, perching on the newly won grandstand and croaking loudly.

Stonechat and Whinchat



Soon after peace had returned following the Ravens' battle I found the Stonechat again and she had two males for company. Unfortunately they were too far for me to stand any chance of getting good pics and they seemed quite flighty too. I continued to walk the area hoping to catch up with the chats again and enjoyed a flypast Grey Wagtail. Eventually I did refind the Stonechats and discovered that they had a Whinchat for company. I could only get one fairly awful shot before it disappeared along with the Stonechats but was pretty glad to get that. I left the chats to feed unmolested and headed towards Weldon. Other wildlife seen on my walk included Speckled Woods, a Small White, Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers.

Speckled Wood and Common Darter



I had time to check the A43 pond out as I passed by but it was very quiet, most of the ducks have moved on and a small flock of Canada Geese did little to stir any enthusiasm. Nearby a check of some Ivy flowers produced sightings of three Red Admirals and a veritable swarm of Ivy Bees.

Canada Goose


No comments:

Post a Comment