Friday 29 April 2022

Norfolk Notes

 My wife Sandra and I have just returned from a four night break in Hunstanton, Norfolk where we enjoyed a dry if not often sunny break. While it was not a wildlife watching trip I did have a few early morning walks along to Heacham as well as a trip to Titchwell so was able to find a few bits and bobs during my stay. 

Oystercatchers, Bar-tailed Godwit, Stonechat and Lesser Whitethroat





My Heacham walks took me along the promenade from where I saw a small selection of waders. Commonest were Oystercatchers with hundreds of birds still present, I'm guessing many are migrants waiting for a chance to head north. Good numbers of Bar-tailed Godwits were on view too with small numbers of Sanderling and Turnstone as well as a flock of about twenty Black-tailed Godwits. My return walk took me inland where a selection of warblers were noted which included plenty of Sedge Warblers and some Lesser Whitethroats. Highlights for me were two pairs of Grey partridge and a singing Stonechat. Mammals noted on these walks included two Common Seals and Brown hares along with a few Muntjacs.

Common Seal, Black-tailed Godwit, Brent Geese and Marsh Harrier.





Titchwell was not as interesting as it often is and it was a bit of a struggle to find much of note. An overflying Spoonbill was perhaps the highlight though I had seen two over Wells harbour on the day before. Great views of a Grasshopper Warbler allowed me to take some good pictures of this often elusive species for the first time, a pair of Mediterranean Gulls sadly did not. Few waders were on site but I did see a Ruff and two Grey Plovers. Little else was noted but I did enjoy watching the reserve's Marsh Harriers going about their business.

Grasshopper Warbler, Whitethroat and Blackcap




No comments:

Post a Comment