Saturday 9 April 2022

Diversion

 This morning I was torn between heading over to Oundle or going to Upper Benefield and walking back from there. My decision was made for me when I boarded the X4 as the route had been changed due to a diversion and the new one did not include Benefield. So it was that I found myself in Oundle where a bright and sunny morning greeted me and while it was cold to begin with it got progressively warmer as the day wore on.

Mandarin and Song Thrush



The bus journey took me out past Brigstock and on to Thrapston before moving on to Oundle and once there I made my usual stop at Barnwell CP. There was plenty of Mandarin activity to enjoy with at least five birds being present. New in for today was a Willow Warbler singing appropriately enough from willows near the Kingfisher hide. I got some views of it but the bird was always obscured by branches so I didn't attempt a picture. The regular Cetti's Warbler was still on site and there were several Blackcaps singing. Another year first came in the shape of two Swallows which seemed to be fighting a bit of a running battle before they parted and went their separate ways. After about an hour of wandering around the park I decided to head off along the river.

Wren and Small Tortoiseshell.



My first butterfly of the day was seen near Lower Barnwell Lock when a Small Tortoiseshell was noted nectaring on blossom, another was seen a little later on. Their is still plenty of water on the flooded field near the lock though bird numbers are down since my last visit. All of the Wigeons have departed leaving half a dozen Shovellers and about forty Teal to linger. A pair of Shelduck were my first here this year but there was little else of note, at least two Redshank remain and there are still quite a few Lapwings but all in all it was a little disappointing. My route now took me back to town where I enjoyed an excellent breakfast in the Coffee Tavern before catching my bus home. 

Orange-tip and Small White.



With the sun still shining I decided to get off at Weldon where my aim was to walk home while searching for butterflies. After a couple of pints in the George I began my stroll by way of the A43 pond. Not much on view here though the reappearance of a pair of Mute Swans may well mean bad news for the pair of Canada Geese that have taken up residence here. Wandering along towards the steelworks I found my first Orange-tip of the year and unusually for this often hyper active species I got a picture of him nectaring on a Dandelion, another was seen a little later on. A white butterfly passed but did not linger and I couldn't get an I.D. Luckily for me a second did land and I was able to confirm my first Small White of the year. Plans to pop into the area near the sewerage treatment works were shelved due to the arrival of some threatening looking clouds and I managed to make it home before a nasty little hail shower started.

Chiffchaff.


No comments:

Post a Comment