Sunday 30 August 2020

Migration

 Not too bad at all today (30/8) with a decent selection of wildlife on view that included several good birds. I took quite a long stroll from Weldon through Deenethorpe and on to Deene before returning via Weldon. There was a bit of sunshine though this was offset to a large degree by a cool northerly breeze.


Raven and Red Admiral.


Bears Lane produced my first Raven of the day, others were seen at Deenethorpe airfield and at Priors Hall. During this early part of the day good numbers of both Green-veined and Small White were noted  with a smaller quantity of Speckled Woods on view. At Deenethorpe airfield a Small Copper was a welcome find though it didn't hang around long enough for a pic. Happily one of two Red Admirals here did with a pristine looking example basking on some blackberries.


Green and Common Sandpipers.


Deene lake inflow had high water levels though I still managed to find a couple of Green Sandpipers, on the main lake I saw a Common Sandpiper which spent its time sitting on lily pads. Also seen here was the resident Black Swan which was feeding near the dam. By now I'd seen my first odes of the day with a Banded Demoiselle at Deenethorpe being joined by Common Blue and Small Red-eyed Damselflies at Deene. Best damsel here however was a male Willow Emerald which was seen in vegetation near the dam.


Black Swan and Willow Emerald.


At Priors Hall I added Meadow Browns to my day list and also my first dragons of the day. The two common darters were joined by Migrant Hawkers though numbers of odes in general seemed low. Birds helped to save the day with a Yellow Wagtail passing over though it was overshadowed by my next find. At the first pond a small bird flying from bush to bush showed a hint of red which aroused my curiosity. Closer inspection revealed it to be a Redstart and although it was obscured at first it later emerged from cover to give some good views. Redstarts are regular though scarce migrants through Northants though I only tend to see them about once every three or four years. In the quarry numbers of Yellow-legged Gulls continue to rise and I saw about thirty-five adults or near adults mixed in with the other gulls. Not much else to report thoughb both Brown hare and Fallow Deer were seen at Priors Hall.


Redstart and Yellow-legged Gull.


No comments:

Post a Comment