Monday 4 November 2019

A Little Reminder of Summer

Dawn didn't exactly break this morning, it sort of oozed slowly into being leaving a familiar though unwelcome shade of grey. Barnwell's otters were once again the draw and so I took the now familiar trip over hoping for more views. Such a shame then that the otters chose to go elsewhere today and a shame too that the Kingfishers evidently went with them. My two and a half hour vigil in the hide was a solitary one so I wonder if the local photographers had access to information that I didn't.

Cormorant and Dabchick.

Although the two stars didn't oblige there was a little bit to see. Grey Wagtails were very active and on several occasions they came close to the hide treating me to good views. Several voles were also noted scuttling about though they never stopped still at any time. Two Cormorants were actively fishing in the lake and I saw them successfully catch several small fishes which were dispatched with one gulp. As I was beginning to feel a bit chilly and the sun was now breaking through I decided to give up on the Kingfisher Hide and went for a wander.

Grey Wagtail and Dunnock.

It didn't take long for me to realise that there was not a great deal to look at and I did several circuits of the park in the hope that something might brighten my day. With the sun feeling increasingly warm it was no surprise when I had a brief view of a hawker dragonfly, it was a pity that it didn't hang around for an identification. More obliging were a trio of male Common Darters whose habit of basking on heat reflective surfaces makes them easy to view. I haven't seen a butterfly for a little while so it was good to find a lovely Peacock taking in some rays and also a male Brimstone flitting past. Given that the winter is on its way it's good to see these reminders of warmer times.

Common Darter and Peacock.

With a few bits and bobs still to do at home I left just after twelve, it's a pity that I arrived back in Corby about half an hour later than the time table suggested I would. Does anyone else fancy running a bus service over to Oundle?


No comments:

Post a Comment