Tuesday 16 July 2019

Quick Visit to Harry

As the sun was shining when I left work I took the bus over to Weldon from where I walked up to Harry's Park Wood. Although the sun did a bit of a disappearing trick I managed to see most of the butterflies that I wanted to.

White Admiral and Peacock.

My first White Admiral was seen before I'd even entered the wood as one was zooming around the brambles on the wood's edge. A further seven where noted and these included at least two taking in moisture or nutrients from the path. Two Silver-washed Fritillaries were seen in their favoured spot near the entrance but were too preoccupied with fighting to pose for pictures. Another camera shy species was a male Purple Emperor that flew past without stopping. Several butterflies were basking on the path and these included a fresh looking Peacock and a Small Tortoiseshell while a Comma was using a branch as its sun bathing spot. The three species of common white were noted and the three typical browns too. One further species observed was Large Skipper, these always seem to favour woodland rides with plenty of brambles.

Small Tortoiseshell and Soldier Beetles.

Highlight amongst the other wildlife was a fox which wandered up the path towards me until it caught on to the fact that I was there and consequently legged it. Two Brown Hawkers and a Common Blue Damsel were the only other wildlife of any note.

Surprised fox.

No comments:

Post a Comment