Monday 13 August 2018

Close Shave.

Today's weather was somewhat better than the dross of yesterday and I actually managed to catch a glimpse or two of the sun. Deciding that I fancied a walk along the river I headed over to Oundle where in the early part of my walk at least grey skies and light rain were the unwelcome order of the day.

Oundle views.

Although this early phase was no more interesting than parts of yesterday's walk I still enjoyed it. With little or no wind it was beautifully still and once I'd left the A605 behind all I could hear was the sounds of nature. As the morning drew on it began to brighten and the first few insects began to stir. A Brown Hawker was soon followed by the sighting of a Migrant and an increasing number of both Blue-tailed and Common Blue damselflies were seen. Large White was the first butterfly noted and small numbers of other species were also observed. Brown Argus is a species that appears to have done very well this year and it was consequently not a big surprise to find one here.

Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood.

Few birds of note were found though I enjoyed watching what looked like a family party of Buzzards around the once flooded area, their calls sounded almost wader like at times. Lots of warblers were feeding on elderberries, mainly sylvias but also some Reeds.

A very obliging Migrant Hawker.

Closer to Oundle a few more damsels showed and these included my first riverine Small Red-eyed Damselflies on lilies near the marina. Several Banded Demoiselles were also noted though numbers seem to be dwindling. From here it was on to Barnwell CP where a calling Kingfisher was the only bird of note. Red-eyed Damsels made their way on to the list while good numbers of Small Red-eyeds were present especially on the Mill Lake. A Migrant Hawker was behaving more like a darter or chaser as it kept returning to the same few perches after each flight. Happily this gave me an opportunity to take my first photos of the year of this attractive species.

Grey Heron and hopefully a Red Kite that lives to fly again.

Leaving the park I noticed a group of people gathered around what looked to be a road casualty. I wasn't entirely sure what it was until one of the park staff picked it up to reveal a young Red Kite. The chap seemed to think that the bird's injuries were minor and intended to pass it on to the RSPCA who will no doubt do their best to return it to the wild. Here's hoping that it survives its close shave and that I get to see it flapping around on later visits. After this it was time for a couple of Pedigrees and then the bus journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment