Wednesday 18 April 2018

Looking at Butt's

Warm sunshine had me setting out again as soon as I got home after work with a view to seeing what was about. A short work had me once again looking around the patch for whatever was around.
Ah Spring when a young butterfly's thoughts turn to love...

Not much in the way of birds to report on, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps are all singing well but unfortunately that was it. A bit of news when I returned to the village though in that the first House Martin had returned, I suspect that more will arrive in the coming days.
Sallow flowers are an essential source of nectar for early butterflies.

On the butterfly front I caught a glimpse of what was likely to have been an Orange-tip but just couldn't get confirmation. Happily other species were a little more cooperative and showed well though the Brimstone(s?) did not want to stop for photos. Peacocks and Small Tortoiseshells were a little more inclined to stop and both species were taking nectar on Sallow flowers. One problem at the moment is that they all seem programmed to chase anything that flies by and not only does that include others of their own type but other butterfly species too and even bees.  One Peacock which seemed to have chosen a prime piece of good basking territory was almost constantly in action as it flew up to intercept incoming interlopers, it was still undisputed champion when I left.
The cryptically coloured underside of a Peacock.

If tomorrow remains sunny I will no doubt head out again but with some grass in dire need of cutting I had to bring today's explorations to a halt and go home to keep my appointment with that mower.

No comments:

Post a Comment