Sunday 8 April 2018

Long to Rain Over Us

Quite a dreadful day weather wise with rain throughout the day and while it may have been little more than light drizzle at some times it was fairly heavy at others. Despite the rather poor conditions I set out for Priors Hall this morning hoping for a few migrants to boost my meagre total.
First Cowslips.

Chiffchaffs are well established now and there was even one singing in the village this morning. Walking past the patch I heard my first Willow Warbler of the year, I heard many more during my walk and numbers at Priors Hall were in double figures. Given that I couldn't find any at the patch on Thursday I would guess that these were newly arrived. A bit further down the road near the first A43 roundabout at Weldon I heard my first Blackcap, I love their rambling jumble of melodic notes cascading out of the shrubbery. Just a little further along the road I found two more males having a bit of a barney near the A43 pond. The pond itself had the usual selection of water birds with both of the commoner geese and also seven Tufted Ducks.
White Violets at the A43 pond. Weldon.

Not for the first time it was the quarry lake and ponds that delivered most of the interest at Priors Hall. Half a dozen Sand Martins were feeding over the water though I'm not sure how many insects were on the wing in such gloomy conditions. On the water at least four Pochards and two Tufties were present, it was a decent day for the latter species as they were found on two more ponds in the area. A pair of Shelducks were on site, it would be nice if they stayed on to breed. Three Little Ringed Plovers were again seen but this time they shared their pond with a Green Sandpiper, the only other waders present were several Lapwings.
A shot from Thursday, another view of Peacock.

Away from the quarry there was not a great deal to see, a selection of wildfowl on the largest pond included three Gadwalls and there was a Redpoll close by. Not many insects about today which was no surprise given how awful the conditions were but I did come across  quite a few Buff-tailed Bumblebees. A lunchtime date meant that I couldn't dally and so I left the site before midday.
Another from Thursday, a Small Tortie.

No comments:

Post a Comment